If you're an avid geocacher in the area you've had a run in or two with these scary creatures. There are over 2,900 species of snakes ranging as far northward as the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia and southward through Australia. Snakes can be found on every continent except Antarctica, in the sea, and as high as 16,000 feet in the Himalayan Mountains of Asia. Some snakes have forced shut downs of popular fishing holes and trailheads.
Six tips to prevent rattlesnake bites
1. Wear boots and long pants when hiking to help block rattlesnake venom.
2. Stay on trails when hiking, away from underbrush and tall weeds.
3. Do not touch or disturb a snake, even if it appears dead.
4. Always look for concealed snakes before picking up rocks, sticks or firewood
5. Never hike alone in remote areas. Always have someone with you who can assist in an emergency.
6. Teach children to respect snakes and to leave them alone.
Qba'g trg ovg
Don't get bit