Georgie B. Gates Pardee
By Patrick Kavanagh
As a dedication and lasting honor to her parents, Mrs. Pardee petitioned to have the area then known as Chapin Place (Chapin Place was named in honor of Col. Edward Chapin, who belonged to the 116th Infantry, and was killed at Port Hudson in 1863, during the Civil War), changed to Gates Circle.
In return for this name change, Mrs. Pardee offered to pay for the fountain and layout of the circle. E.B. Green designed the layout of Gates Circle. His design incorporated the ornate light standards and fountain from the Pan American Exposition which was held in Buffalo in 1901.
The GAR adamantly objected to this proposal; however, Mrs. Pardee won out and since 1903, this circle has been known as Gates Circle, as Mrs. Pardee wished.