The cache owner spent a night in Monroe, Michigan on the way to Midwest Geobash 2013, and was familiar with the Custer monument, as it, and it's surrounding historical markers, are Waymarked in eight different categories! So yes, people do look at Waymarking.com. The Wikipedia page for the monument is very well done, so being that information is public domain, I've copied it here, complete with the many links, which lead to other Wikipedia pages.
The George Armstrong Custer Equestrian Monument, also known as Sighting the Enemy, is an equestrian statue of George Armstrong Custer by Edward Clark Potter, located in Monroe, Michigan. The statue was unveiled on June 4, 1910. It was designated a Michigan Historic Site on June 15, 1992 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 9, 1994.
While Custer was not born in Monroe, he lived much of his early childhood living with relatives and going to school in Monroe. During his youth, he met his future wife Elizabeth Bacon, whom he returned to marry in 1864. Custer eventually left Monroe to attend the United States Military Academy and fight in the Civil War. Because of his hard work and success during the war — as well as the Union's need for officers — he was promoted to the rank of Major General and was a very well known military figure. After the Civil war, he partook in the Indian Wars. His previous accomplishments in the Civil War, however, were overshadowed by his catastrophic defeat and death at the Battle of the Little Big Horn on June 25, 1876.
To honor him, a $24,000, 14-foot (4.27 m) bronze equestrian statue, sculpted by Edward Clark Potter, was unveiled in Monroe in 1910 by then-President William Howard Taft and Elizabeth Bacon Custer. The statue commemorates his successful actions during the Civil War and not his more well known failure during the later Indian Wars.
Throughout the statue's century long lifespan, it has been placed in three different locations. The statue was originally located in the middle of the brick-laden intersection of First Street and Washington Street in front of the courthouse in the present day Old Village Historic District. His widow Elizabeth Custer, who spent much of her later life improving Custer's reputation and public image, argued that the statue was in a less-deserving location in Monroe. Others complained that the statue was a traffic hazard since it was located in the middle of an intersection. When it was first erected, traffic was sparse in Monroe, but automobile traffic was drastically increasing. On June 20, 1923, the statue was moved to a new location in Soldiers and Sailors Park along the River Raisin.There, the statue remained in relative isolation and was eventually obscured by unkempt scrubs and trees.
Because of public protests, the city moved the statue to a better location in August 1955. When movers arrived to take the statue to a new location, they originally could not find it within the overgrown vegetation.The statue was moved to its current location on the southwest corner of Elm Avenue and North Monroe Street along the River Raisin. Its current location is at one of the most prominent intersections in the city, and the statue is well lit at night. The statue is now one of the most recognizable objects in Monroe.The George Armstrong Custer Equestrian Monument is located across Elm Street from the St. Mary's Church Complex Historic District and adjacent to the East Elm-North Macomb Street Historic District. It is also located just north of the River Raisin from the Old Village Historic District, where it was originally located.
Logging Requirements: A photo with yourself, or your GPS with the Statue in the background, and a Log Password. Find the Historical Marker titled MAJOR-GENERAL GEORGE ARMSTRONG CUSTER. The password is the last name of his half-sister, with which he grew up with in Monroe, ALL IN CAPS.