The Barbara Park Sessler Visitor Information Center is owned by the Seneca County Chamber of Commerce, and has been a landmark on Routes 5 and 20 in the Town of Seneca Falls since being built in 1928. The Windmill was originally built by Roscoe Kean, and was used as an office for 15 nearby tourist cabins, as well as the bathroom and shower facilities for guests. It also originally housed a gas station with 8 pumps.
The windmill and cabins were sold a few times over the years, and the cabins eventually were all moved to different locations in the late 1950's, and the windmill itself sat vacant from then until 1973, when Western Regional Off Track Betting purchashed the windmill, and used it for storage until 1979, all while using a image of it on their logo. In 1980, it came into the hands of The Seneca County Chamber of Commerce, who renovated it, and used it as their Headquarters from then untill 1999, when they moved into new offices. Since then, it has been an unattended self-service visitors information center.
The twenty foot blades on the windmill did turn originally, but the motor was disconnected by the Chamber of Commerce so the blades only turned when the wind was blowing. But later, sixteen foot blades were installed, and stabilized so they would not turn (for liability purposes). Every year, the blades are lit up by thousands of lights for the Holiday season.
As previously mentioned, this visitors center is unattended. As a matter of fact, there were no posted hours to be found during the cache owners visit in August 2014! Who knows if someone comes and locks it up every night and reopens it every morning; but to be safe, please show up at "normal" hours during daylight. The Guestbook is on the ground floor, just a few feet from the door, on a desk. No picture of your entry required, although it would be nice if you did. There are hundreds of information brouchures on Finger Lakes attractions, help yourself. There is an outdoor stairway to the 2nd floor of the windmill, but it is used for storage, and the door is locked.
Historical information source: http://www.co.seneca.ny.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/The-Windmill-article-with-pictures.pdf by Walter Gable, Seneca County Historian.