Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe's visit to this locality in 1795 led to a grant to Aaron Culver, one of the districts earliest settlers, on condition of building mills. By 1812 a hamlet had formed near these mills, but they were burnt and adjacent houses looted by U.S. troops in 1814. In 1819-23 Culver laid out a village which he named "Simcoe" and a post office with this name was opened in 1829. streets were surveyed in 1835-36, a court-house and gaol built, and Simcoe was made the seat of the new Talbot District in 1837.
The Password Is the year simcoe became the County town of Norfolk County.
(found on plaque)