World's biggest free geocaching network
Geopaths - matching lots of geocaches
Full statistics, GPX's, all for free!
Mail notifications about new caches and logs
100% geocaching posibilities for free
You have to be logged-in in order to perform operations on this cache.
stats
Show cache statistics
Symphony Circle - OU0443
Owner: GOF
N 42° 54.161' W 78° 52.913' N 42° 54' 9.66'' W 78° 52' 54.78'' N 42.90268°  W 78.88188° 
Altitude: m. ASL.
 Region: United States > New York
Cache type: No translation available (id: )
Size: No container
Status: Ready for Search
Date hidden: 2012-04-10
Date created: 2012-04-10
Date published: 2012-04-10
Last modification: 2012-04-27
6x Found
0x Not found
0 notes
watchers 0 watchers
73 visitors
4 x rated
Rated as: Good
1 x recommended
This cache is recommended by: Sabrefan7
Cache attributes

Quick Cache  Kid Friendly  Historic Site  Listed on OCNA Only  Password needed to post log entry! 

Please read the Opencaching attributes article.
Description EN

http://www.buffaloah.com

 

Symphony Circle was originally named The Circle by Buffalo Park System designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1868.

 

They redesigned The Circle in 1874 to serve as a vital link of green space between The Front Park and Porter Avenue. From the Circle, the west Buffalo parkway design continued down Richmond Avenue to Bidwell Parkway, then to Lincoln Parkway, and finally terminated at Delaware Park.

 

The Circle was graded in 1874, and much of it was developed over the former Black Rock Cemetery (especially the northwest quadrant). The remains of Buffalonians buried there were re-interred in Forest Lawn Cemetery, but some of the pauper graves still remain.

 

The Circle's finishing touch came in 1879 when an ornate 5 light gas standard (photo above) was erected in the center of a circular flower bed island approximately 25-30 feet in diameter. In the 1890s the Circle became a finish line for spirited winter cutter (sleigh) races running down Richmond Avenue south from West Ferry Street. The island and light standard were removed in 1938 in deference to the automobile.

 

From the earliest days of the Circle this site was home to a greenhouse and some dwellings of modest size until the early 1890s. At that time, Truman Avery purchased all the grounds bordering this quadrant (3.5 acres) and built a palatial mansion.

 

In 1938, when the City of Buffalo was searching for a site for the new music hall to be erected as a memorial to retailer Edward L. Kleinhans' smother and wife, heirs to the estate of Mrs. Truman Avery offered the mansion to the City for a nominal sum.

 

The Circle was renamed Symphony Circle in 1958 because of its association with Kleinhans Music Hall and the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Log entries: Found 6x Not found 0x Note 0x All entries